• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Accessibility: Airports, Hotel, Disney, etc.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
Now that most of us have returned home, I thought it would be a great idea to share some of what we learned about accessibility on this trip so that next year there will be less "unknown" for supersize and mobility-challenged folks who want to attend.

I have much to share, but unfortunately didn't get to any of the local attractions, so others will need to share those experiences.

AIRPORTS/FLYING:

Newark Airport: I flew out of Newark. Reserving the large size wheelchair (when I made my plane reservation) made all the difference in the world. All of the walking/sitting/struggling/huffing & puffing? Eliminated. I flew Jet Blue and used curbside check in - so no need to drag the bags into the hotel. I also got 2 seats, and was therefore entitled to 2 checked bags (free) but still just one carry-on. No problem, really, that was more than I could manage on my own as it was.

They brought the wheelchair right to the curb, and I was whisked through the airport with a brief stop to get through security. There is a separate line for wheelchairs, so no waiting. But even if there was waiting, I would have been sitting, so it wouldn't have mattered.

I was wheeled right to the gate. Preboarded, since I needed extra time. As soon as I stepped into the plane, one of the flight attendants took my carry-on from me and stored it in the overhead bin, by my seat. That's never happened before - I always had to struggle with it myself, even when pre-boarding because I needed extra time.

I found that Jet Blue's regular seats are much better spaced than other airlines I've flown - I was able to get into the seat easily, without raising the aisle armrest. They also have seats with even more legroom (belly room? hehe) for a bit more money. But since I had spent the money for 2 seats already, I didn't want to spend more.

All of the flight attendants were friendly and helpful. And while it isn't really an accessibility factor - I loved having the tv at my seat. The time just flew!

When I was in the Orlando airport this morning, waiting for my return flight, I was seated right by the agent at the gate. I was going to ask if it would be possible to move to the extra legroom aisle if it was available, but hadn't gotten a chance to do it, when I heard him say "Randi?" I looked up and he said - "Your seats are so far back in the plane - would you like me to move you closer to the front?" I was floored. First of all, that he saw on the manifest that someone had 2 seats (I named my extra seat "extra seat" with my last name) and that he proactively wanted to make it easier for me.

I love that he assumed it was me (calling out my name - and he was right, of course). He moved me to row 4, which is an extra legroom row and he blocked the 3rd seat to give me even more room. Unbelievable. I LOVE JET BLUE!!

Orlando Airport: When I arrived in Orlando, they had my large size wheelchair ready for me, but there was a bit of a delay until the person who pushes the chairs was ready to go. It was amazing that he pushed 2 of us at the same time! (a large man and me - very impressive)

I am not sure what the customary tipping amount should be for these guys, but I tipped either $5 or $10, depending on how helpful and friendly I thought he was. With the 4 wheelchair trips, I tipped a total of $30. VERY worth it. Truly.

I was fortunate to have a friend pick me up at the airport in Orlando, so someone else will need to post about the using the hotel's airport shuttle. All I know is you need to call for it when you arrive - and you should request the RED bus. Much easier to get into - and be sure to have him pull up to the curb, since that first step is a bit high.

THE RENAISSANCE HOTEL

Lovely. Laid out to require as little walking as possible for a hotel of this size and caliber. Several gals had scooters, and I am sure that made it easier. I opted to hoof it and most of the time I was fine.

The rooms: The rooms were spacious and I found them to be very accessible, except the beds were a little high for me (but I am shorter than most). I was able to use the desk chair and the "comfy" arm chair in the room, but they weren't all that comfortable since they were a bit tight. Fortunately I didn't spend much time in the room - if I had I would have requested an armless banquet chair - which many people did.

The bathrooms: The bathroom was really nice. I found it fairly easy to get in and out of the shower. There was a grab bar and the tub was one of the lowest and easiest to step over that I've ever encountered in a hotel. Like most tubs, it was a little slippery, but Heather had a good suggestion - put a hand towel on the floor of the tub to prevent slipping. It really helped!

The lobby/common areas: Lots of wide, comfortable, sturdy chairs. Some were a little low, making it hard to get up, but it was preferable to chairs we don't fit in at all!

The pool: Gorgeous. Warm. And not too bad getting in and out. There were helpful FAs around to give a hand to those who needed it (like me) but it wasn't too bad (and I am a BIG chicken when it comes to getting out of a pool. I have a lot of trouble.)

WHAT WOULD I HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY?

I would have: gotten a porter at the airport to help me with the luggage coming off the carousel. Having 1 large suitcase, one medium suitcase, a carry-on, my purse (heavy!) and a cane was really more than I could handle by myself.

I would have: packed my carry-on differently: I had packed the carry-on to be too heavy when I was leaving the hotel and that made it impossible for me to manage the luggage, since I throw the carry-on over my shoulder along with my purse to free my hands for the suitcases. I couldn't even get from my room to the elevator (which was right next door.)

I would have: called for a bellman when I was checking out of the hotel. I didn't think I would have time to wait for him to come to my room, as it was 7:55 and I wanted to catch the 8 AM shuttle. I was lucky that a hotel guest saw me struggling (and nearly in tears) 10 feet from my room and he helped me get my bags to the shuttle.

When I was checking in curbside I asked if the large bag was light enough to handle a few things from the carry-on and the skycap said sure. I moved some heavy things out of my carry-on. That helped tremendously.

I am sure there is more I can share, but I think this is plently for now! I hope others will share their experiences, especially with the Disney parks and other local attractions. I asked a million questions of Jennifer and Steve (who went to Discovery Cove yesterday) and the accessibility details they were able to share were invaluable. I hope one of them (or those who went with them) will take the time to share those details here.

If you have more to share about the hotel or your flying experiences, please don't hesitate to add to this thread.

I really think this will help others to see what we can do, and how to make the trip as manageable as possible. I had almost canceled - the stress of the unknown really gets to me, and these kind of details help me tremendously.

I am SO glad I didn't cancel, as this was one of the best bashes I have EVER been to - and I mean that sincerely!

Latest posts

Back