• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Cancer (and a thank you)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainyday

Departed
For those who don’t know, my boyfriend, James, died recently after having been ill for several months with metastatic melanoma. Over the course of his illness we got quite an education in "life with cancer." This is very off-topic, but since cancer is so prevalent and destroys so many lives I want to share some things we learned in the hope that maybe this information could help someone you know. If any of you have you own tips you’ve learned from dealing with cancer, please add them to this thread. I’d love it if together we helped someone.

Curcumin
If you know anyone with melanoma or breast cancer, make sure they know about the benefits of curcumin (an ingredient in the spice turmeric). Human trials are just starting, but it’s showing amazing promise as one of the few things that will stop the spread of melanoma. And in breast cancer, curcumin has recently been shown to stop the cancer from spreading to the lungs. It’s usefulness against other types, such as pancreatic cancer, is also being investigated, so check it out for other cancers as well. A Google search should turn up tons of information. MD Anderson Cancer Center in Texas is involved in many of the trials and has some useful information on their website. Curcumin isn’t readily absorbed by the body on its own and must be taken in conjunction with a substance called pepperine. Many curcumin supplements come with pepperine incorporated in the capsule, so make sure you look for that. It’s difficult to find information on just what an effective dose is—it’s still being investigated—but a naturopath can guide you. Make sure your oncologist knows you’re taking it though because you may need to stop while you are having certain treatments—like chemo—since it can alter their effectiveness.

MD Anderson:
http://promosearch.atomz.com/search/promosearch/?sp-q=curcumin&sp-a=sp1000cbd6

Blood Clots
Chemotherapy can put you at risk for blood clots. If someone you know is having chemo, please let them know so they can watch for symptoms. No one told us about this! In October, doctors didn’t think James would leave the hospital. He surprised them by not only walking out and coming home but by responding beyond all expectations to biochemotherapy. His tumors were visibly shrinking, his blood counts were great and he was steadily improving. Given his response, we expected to have at least another year together, possibly several. At least time to get married. What killed him wasn’t his cancer but a blood clot that suddenly broke loose and lodged in his lungs. Please don’t let it happen to anyone you know.

Naturopathic Care
Ask if your hospital or treatment facility has an integrative medicine program that combines conventional and holistic therapies. In other words, get a naturopath involved to work in conjunction with your oncologist. We lucked out and had one who communicated extremely well with the oncologist, and while the oncologist was skeptical, he didn’t object to the naturopath’s involvement. The naturopath had great information about supplements that helped counteract the side effects of chemo—like damage to the digestive tract cells. He was also very helpful as we struggled to combat the nausea, appetite problems and weight loss that accompanied the disease and treatment. Don’t be without this component of your care.

Acupuncture
James’ melanoma metastasized to his bones and he had excruciating pain that narcotics couldn’t combat and which the radiation didn’t relieve. After just one session of acupuncture he began to get relief, and after several he was able to be removed from IV pain meds entirely. He actually loved the sessions because they left him so relaxed. If pain meds aren’t working, try this!

Please add your own tips to this thread too if you have any.

And, a thank you.
In the aftermath of all this, Dimfolk have been incredibly kind to me and I just want to say thank you for your caring and concern. I received so many lovely messages and PMs. One beautiful one just said "You are loved." People I don’t even know have sent words of hope and encouragement. Yesterday someone emailed me a transcript of chat from the day folks in the room heard about James' death. I was just blown away by the kindness and empathy people showed. Nothing takes away the pain, but I sure do feel cared for. You guys are incredible. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back