• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Explosion at Fertilizer Plant in TX Town of West

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
More than 100 injured, latest briefing indicates 5-15 acknowledged fatalities but that is quite likely to be on the low side.

L.A. Times article

I am appalled that the plant was that close to town. Ammonium nitrate (AN) in bulk should have been considered as high explosives and sited appropriately -- it shouldn't have been within a mile of inhabited buildings (and I'm probably underestimating this because of the quantity involved).

Technically speaking, plain AN will just burn if ignited. However, if it's actually burning, a kinetic shock can cause the fire to transition to high-order detonation throughout the entire mass. But even just turning a firehose on the fire would do it, because the water flashing to steam could create the shock. Or the shockwave from a rupturing high-pressure tank (such as the anhydrous ammonia also stored on site) might do it. In either case, the potential for the AN to go high-order should have been accounted for, rather than assumed away.

This is stunning negligence in siting and zoning.

There is no indication that this was anything but an industrial accident, though.

My heart goes out to those who have lost family and friends in this tragic accident, and to the wounded.

Latest posts

Back