• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

First post, been reading all day. VERY LONG

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggles

First, let me introduce myself. My names Lorelei. I go by Snuggles, its my nickname. Hubby gave it to me :)

I stumbled on your site today, and have been reading posts off and on most the day. I had WLS in March '00, I wish I had known about this area...if it was here...at that time. See when my husband and I met I was a soft size 20-22, at 260 some odd lbds. Busty, curvy and I felt good.

before.jpg

I was 372 when this picture was taken.

This was me at the time. I was very sick from my last pregnancy, I had given birth when I was 320 lbs. Blew out my abdominal wall, and was told by my surgeon after having an emergency surgery for an abdominal infection that included both my liver and gall bladder, that if I didn't have WLS I would end up in a wheelchair like my mother.

She was diabetic and a nice soft size all her life.

She ended up losing both of her legs.

I don't have a horror story to give any of the ladies on here...but being almost 6 years post op I do have some things I want to share with you.

First, there are times I mourn my old size. I never had a problem attracting men, the surgery was for medical reasons (preceived or otherwise) only.

I'm short, 5'4. I'm a size 14 now depending on the manufacturer of the clothes.

I also have two forms of anemia. One by iron and one by B-12. I have water retention because without those very essential things...and the fact that since I had a RNY I don't produce enough folic acid to process them. I now have to take shots monthly. A full syringe. So now I'm on a liquid diet to remove excess water.

There are so many things you need to know before discussing something like this. One very important thing is that surgeons do this operation differently from one another. Mine made my pouch the size of an egg. Depending on the SURGEON is the risk factor.

I'm going to retype this....

There are times I MOURN my old size. I loved being soft, my husband loved to cuddle me (Hence the name snuggles). He loves larger women. Thank goodness he's a good man, and was able to adjust to my new size. Now he teases me saying "Baby you're just as soft, its just now I can fold you up in my arms."

He's a godsend.

There are also times that I would never go back to it. Those times are when I'm in Hapkido class and place a well aimed thrust kick to the bag, or manage to throw my instructor to the ground.

When I was larger, I felt empowered. Strong. Fearless.

When I lost weight I felt small, weak....I ended up staying in the house for almost a year out of fear.

Hapkido is my way to conquer that. Those emotions didn't set in until I was three years post op by the way.

Another thing I discovered....smaller I felt invisible. Un noticed, in the background.

When I was larger I smiled all the time, I called myself "Fat sassy and special" and meant it.

There are times when I want to drop to my knees and thank Dr. White for giving my life...those times are when I'm on the back of the ambulance helping someone. Playing with my children. Making love to my husband.

There are times when I want to curse and scream at Dr. White....
When I feel sick and alone...disgusting because I can't keep food down. Or when I get a sugar dump (Much like a diabetic with too much sugar) and my hands shake and my mouth gets dry. When my hair fell out, and I cried like a baby.

I'm very good to my body now....I just had an upper GI done with a bar swallow to check my pouch. The radiologist was amazed that there was little stretching and no real scarring or adhesions.

These are some things you need to know....After reading many posts. Especially after one woman stated that "Again these things can be avoided by following what the Dr. tells you" or something similar.

First.....
You NEVER KNOW who is going to lose their hair....until it happens.

I took all my shots, my vitamins, drank all my liquids. Half my hair still fell out.

You NEVER KNOW what you'll be able to eat afterwards. Some can have beef, chicken...everything. Some can never eat meat again unless its already preground.

You NEVER KNOW just how much you'll lose, and if you'll ever be able to stop losing without another surgery.

MANY FAILURES are not from the surgery itself, its from eating the wrong things afterwards.

If you ever think of this surgery, to succeed you have to know there are things you can never have again.

Nothing carbonated...EVER.

No soda, beer, champagne, pop rocks....
NOTHING that foams in your stomach. For example MSG
Very few preservatives, again...foaming agents.
No well done steaks, potato skins (blockages) greasy foods (easily absorbed saturated fat)
Hard fresh veggies are a thing of the past. (Cauli, brocc....carrots..etc. Gaseous distention of the abdominal cavity...stretching of the pouch)

What many people don't realize is this surgery isn't a cure, its an aid. It literally forces you to change your eating habits with physical side effects.

The reason many people gain the weight back after (up to and over 50% of the weight lost gained back) is because they never really change their eating habits.

<sighs>

I have alot more I could type....but there is one thing I'm trying to get across thats most important. WLS is supposed to be life and habit altering, not an end itself. My surgeon was wonderful in the fact that I had to have 8 months worth of nutrition and counseling before he would cut me at all.

I also need to say this again...and I'm choking up as I type this. I mourn for my old body many times. I enjoyed being fluffy, sassy and sweet all at the same time. My husband still curls up to me, but with the size I am I can't HOLD HIM like he holds me now.

But again, there are things I can do now that I never could before. Buy a pair of boots that fits my calves, horseback ride, I went back to school and became an EMT-B (Working on intermediate now) Hapkido, always and again Hapkido. Thats been a lifesaver in more ways than one. Ride a bike, find a bra in my size (I was an I cup when I had the surgery)

There are good and bad with all sizes, I think I'm fortunate to have seen both sides and can see the good with both ends of the spectrum.

I understand this site is about FA/A (Admiration/acceptance) ....and I do admire all of you here, for your love of life...beauty and undominated spirits. I just wish all of you could bring the love from the other main boards into this one, and instead accept ALL sizes of the spectrum.

Everyone is beautiful, from the curvacious soft beauty of a grassy plain (Larger women/men) to the sharp angles and peaks of a mountain (slender models) to the standing trees in the forest. (Medium size)

All my love
Snuggles

Latest posts

Back