• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

French Elle's "plus"-size models

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Beautiful Dreamer

ridiculously contented
Gasp! The French edition of Elle magazine put a "plus"-size model on the cover. One of twenty photos in the spread inside showed her sitting, naked, in a chair. You could see a few small tummy rolls and normal-size arms and legs, utterly without any dimpling there.

New York magazine ran a brief item complaining about why a fashion magazine "had" to run a photo of a "plus"-size model naked.

Oh, sorry, did it spoil your breakfast?

Pbpbpbpbpbllltttt.

The model would be considered "plus"-size only in the world of modeling wherein Size 0 is the default size. Model-clothing sizes only run up to 4, rarely 6.

When I looked through the photos, I saw what I would describe as an average-size woman. She had some flesh on her arms and legs and a nice curve to her butt. If I'd seen her walking down the street, never would I have categorized her as oversized.

Which brings me to my next gripe <getting on soapbox>:

Even catalogs that supposedly cater to plus sizes use models that are standard sizes 12 to 14.

Phoo. A 12-14 is not a plus size folks.

If you shop in "women's" sizes in stores, you can't even get a 12. Their smallest size is a Plus 14-16. It doesn't fit a lot more loosely than a Regular 14-16. So if I want to imagine what the garment might look like on me, if I want to order from a catalog, I have to imagine putting my thumb on top of the model's head and pushing her down, so that she becomes both shorter and rounder. "Plus"-size models are 6 feet tall and wear a size 12. I'm five feet tall and haven't seen a 12 in quite a while.

:doh::doh::doh:

Latest posts

Back