• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Lesbian feminist gender professor fears "all or nothing" State-enforced marriage.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
Katherine Franke, Professor of Gender etc. at Columbia Uni, doesn't come out and say it in so many words, but it's clear she's bricking it at the prospect her dearly beloved might one day screw her in divorce court.:p

She complains that she wants to keep the "marriage-lite / recognised domestic partnership" that gives gay folks the ability to benefit from joint insurance, without all that inconvenient property division / alimony etc. etc.

If gay folks are going to get marriage - which they damn well should - let's keep "marriage-lite" and EXTEND IT TO STRAIGHTS TOO!
Us straights want a "menu of choices" too!

Equal rights!
Gay rights for straights!
Straight rights for gays!

Can I get an Amen?

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/24/opinion/24franke.html?_r=2

"Here’s why I’m worried: Winning the right to marry is one thing; being forced to marry is quite another. How’s that? If the rollout of marriage equality in other states, like Massachusetts, is any guide, lesbian and gay people who have obtained health and other benefits for their domestic partners will be required by both public and private employers to marry their partners in order to keep those rights. In other words, “winning” the right to marry may mean “losing” the rights we have now as domestic partners, as we’ll be folded into the all-or-nothing world of marriage.

Of course, this means we’ll be treated just as straight people are now.
But this moment provides an opportunity to reconsider whether we ought to force people to marry — whether they be gay or straight — to have their committed relationships recognized and valued.

At Columbia University, where I work, the benefits office tells heterosexual employees that they must marry to get their partners on the health plan. A male graduate student I know, informed that he’d have to marry his longtime girlfriend for her to get benefits, was told, “Too bad your girlfriend isn’t a man — it would be so much easier!”

Latest posts

Back