• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

UK - Plus Sized Girl Band - Talent Search

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeaBea

Man up or move on!
Hi Folks,

I haven't seen anything posted here on Dimensions about this Talent Search yet. It's already resulted in some really good, size-positive press in the UK media, and I'm thrilled to be part of it. I appreciate this might be a bit distant for lots of the US Dimensions readers but I thought you might be interested.

I'm hoping this competition will bring issues about size discrimination to the front of peoples minds here. Obviously I'm looking forward to finding some amazing new talents, but I also believe the chance to get a size-positive event in front of the national media is a great opportunity.

I've posted the Press Release below but if you'd like more info please contact me direct or get in touch with the other organisers via the contact details below.

Tracey xx

The Biggest Girl Band in the World!

A nationwide search has been launched for the biggest girl band in the world - a girl group made up of singers who are all at least a size 16.

Hundreds of singers from across the country have applied to join the five-girl group, provisionally called 'Plus'.

Organisers, media house PRHQ and online magazine, Just as Beautiful, say they have been overwhelmed by the number of plus-size women eager for an opportunity at stardom.

Potential band members will audition in front of a panel of judges including soul legend Ruby Turner, International Women of Excellence Award winner Barbara Campbell, Big Girls Paradise director Linda Koch and plus- size fashion designer Tracey Carr.

PRHQ placed a number of ads online asking for aspiring singers to get in touch. The ad said: "Are you a big girl with big talents? We're looking for girls /women with musical ability for the world's first girl band of real women: women who are at least a size 16. If you've ever wanted to be a star please send a biography and picture to the email address below.

Spokesman Kizzi Nkwocha who has represented the Bay City Rollers said: "There are thousands of female singers out there who have been turned away by the music industry simply because of their weight.

“The music industry has a definite bias against any female singer who is over a size 12. For some reason the powers-that-be are convinced that, for a woman to be attractive and talented, she must also be a stick insect. We don't think that's right and we don't think that's true."

He said a lot of these singers are beautiful, talented and have all the qualities of stardom. "We want to give these women a chance to shine. Plus will change the way the music industry regard women who are not Victoria Beckham clones. The industry is so far behind public opinion that somebody really has to point this out in a very definite way. The public wants to see big girls onstage because big girls are normal. It's the wafer-thin stick insects that are abnormal."

The band website is at: www.realgirlband.com.

According to the British Medical Council, female images in the media are becoming thinner at a time when women are becoming heavier, and the gap between the ideal body shape and the reality is wider than ever. There is a need for more realistic body shapes to be shown on television and in fashion magazines.

"The fashion and music industries constant depiction of pencil -thin feminine beauty can quite easily send young females --particularly those who place great importance on their appearance--into an immediate tailspin of increased anger and body dissatisfaction," said Nkwocha. "We say its time for real women to stand up and say 'I'm big, beautiful and talented'. "

The closing date for applications is May 14th. Auditions for Plus will be held on June 9th and 16th at the Hertford Marquee Club, on Railway Street. Visit www.realgirlband.com for details.

Latest posts

Back