• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

umami tooth!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissToodles

dead peasant
Some people have a sweet tooth and go gaga over a huge cake. I like sweets but are not too attached to them. I discovered I have an umami tooth!

What is umami? According to wikipedia: "Savoriness or umami is the name for the taste sensation produced by the free glutamates commonly found in fermented and aged foods, for example parmesan and roquefort cheeses, as well as soy sauce and fish sauce. It is also found in significant amounts in various unfermented foods such as walnuts, grapes, broccoli, tomatoes, and mushrooms, and to a lesser degree in meat. The glutamate taste sensation is most intense in combination with sodium. This is one reason why tomatoes exhibit a stronger taste after adding salt. Sauces with umami and salty tastes are very popular for cooking, such as tomato sauces and ketchup for Western cuisines and soy sauce and fish sauce for East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines. Here is the link to the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

My cravings are placed in context now. As a child, I would eat anything pickled. Giardenia, sour pickles. I would smother everything in ketchup, even pancakes. Okay, I still smother things in ketchup! I tend to eat pickled ginger as a snack. And I suppose hot sauce is another one, I'll actually put some in a spoon and eat it. May explain the penchant for sushi as it usually is wrapped in seaweed. Anyone else have an umami tooth?

Latest posts

Back