• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

"Unconventional" Bodies and Camaraderie

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat people: Do you feel a stronger affinity for people with "unconventional" bodies?

• Yes, I tend to.

• No, I tend not to.

• It depends/I don't know.

• I consider my fat body to be conventionally accepted as the norm.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LovelyLiz

I have found that I tend to feel an affinity for people with what society would label "unconventional" bodies. I think that's because, as a fat person, my embodiment leads me to experience the world in a certain way - and part of that means that at times I don't quite fit, or I experience social stigma (in subtle or overt ways), or get certain negative stereotypes based on my appearance, etc. It's not that it happens all the time and makes me miserable - that's not what I'm talking about. But those experiences do shape me and how I see the world.

In fact, they also cause me to feel a stronger affinity or camaraderie with other people who have "unconventional" bodies - be it due to size, disability, shape, whatever.

Now I know not everyone here feels even camaraderie with other fat people, since some people feel like it's such a diverse group and it's too generalizing to say there is some kind of fat sisterhood/brotherhood/personhood; but I'm wondering if anyone other fat people here tend to have similar feelings of affinity for people who, based on physical factors, just don't quite fit the "norm."

Latest posts

Back