• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Watcha think about Microsoft Vista?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I wasn't going to but couldn't resist. So I installed Vista Ultimate on my El Cheapo floor model Gateway MX3416 notebook that cost me a grand total of $389 after all rebates at Office Depot. It's a 2GHz Turion64 with a gig of RAM and according to Microsoft's Vista upgrade checker, Vista-ready (and also has a sticker to that effect).

So I upgraded. It took about three hours but Vista came right up. Initially it didn't have the NVidia drivers needed, so I downloaded those from the Gateway site. A few other assorted updates were required, but the thing works, even with the fancy Aero interface. For those in the know, the cheapie notebook does 4.1, 4.5, 3.1, 3.0, 4.1 on the Vista scores.

Sadly, no audio yet. Gateway added a few files and a BIOS reflash, but so far no sound. Big deal. It'll happen.

What I thought was funny was that several of the upgrades needed to be installed via an ancient command line directive, c:\cabs\.....exe and such. Ahh, the ghost of DOS.

Overall, Vista works better than I thought. Sure they (not all that successfully) stole most of the look directly from Mac OSX and it's still Microsoft-clumsy, but it's quicker than I thought and some things work better and more transparently than on XP. Overall I am glad I took the step early.

Latest posts

Back